Why should you make your own salad dressing?

August 16th 2013

Why should you make your own salad dressing

Have you ever really looked at your salad dressing label? I don’t have any here anymore. We make our own dressing. 90% of the time when we eat out I will ask for oil and vinegar. The other 10% I will have the house dressing.
It wasn’t until we completed the 21 day Ultimate Reset last year that we realized just how easy and yummy it is to make our own dressing.

Creamy Garlic Dressing

Make your own dressing

Why make your own dressing?
– Cost savings
– Fewer preservatives and other added ingredients
– Less sodium and sugar
– You know what you are getting
I dare you. Go open the fridge and look at your salad dressing labels. There will be awesome buzz words on them like gluten free, No trans fat, or no MSG. But then you look under that and find tons of ingredients you can’t even pronounce. Don’t be healthy by eating a yummy vegetable filled salad and top it with chemicals you can’t pronounce.
Invest the time in yourself. We will make a jar on a Sunday and it will last us both at least a week and we eat salads almost every day.
Here is our favorite recipe that I think you will enjoy.

Creamy Garlic Dressing:
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
3 cloves of garlic crushed
2 Tbsp of fresh parsley chopped
1 Tbsp of fresh basil chopped
3 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 tsp of Himalayan salt
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp of raw honey or pure maple syrup

Place oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, basil, salt, mustard, and honey in a food processor or just add it all to a dressing shaker and shake until smooth. If you don’t mind having the basil and parsley chunkier just shake and refrigerate. If you want it blended more than mix it up in the blender or magic bullet. If dressing solidifies just let it set out for about 30 minutes or run under some warm water and use on your salad.

The other favorite that is super easy is Honey Mustard.

Honey Mustard:
1 Tbsp of raw honey
2 tsp of Dijon mustard
Mix with a spoon until blended and then pour over your salad. Increase the measurements of each to get the flavor and consistency you want. It really goes a long way if you toss your salad in it.

Not sure what some of the ingredients are and where to find them? Google them. Himalayan salt can be found at Target and most grocery stores. It is pink. If you have table salt toss it and start using this. Google it. You will be amazed at the properties it has over table salt. But that is a whole new post.

The rule I’ve started to follow regarding food. If it has a coupon or a commercial then I will not buy it. When was the last time you saw a commercial for apples or a coupon for zucchini?
I challenge you to make your own dressings for a while and see how things change.

Leave a Reply